I was born in Australia, raised in the California East Bay, and currently reside in Utah. I’m the fortunate mother of two teenage boys and a lover of all things outdoors. Utah, with it’s snowy mountains, red deserts, and endless wilderness opportunities has become a special home for me. I also have personal experience with depression, PPD and birth trauma PTSD. It took me years and much searching to find the resources I needed. My career is dedicated to providing those services to the families I work with and connecting folks to other valuable support.
I consider myself a mystical scientist, integrating an eclectic understanding of the psyche and environmental contributors to dis-ease, with deep intuitive abilities and empathy to create a wellness plan that works for you individually.
My early career started in the prevention and treatment of child abuse, sexual abuse, and domestic violence intervention with young children and mothers. I worked as a home visitor and parent educator for many years before going to graduate school. I trained other early childhood educators in attachment and trauma informed approaches to parent education and repairing mother-child relationships. This work set the stage for my devotion to what I consider the best form of child abuse prevention: sound parental mental health.
I have trained healthcare professionals in the field of reproductive mental health since 2007 and believe all folks deserve specialized treatment from experts in this field. I am certified in Perinatal Mental Health (PMH-C) by Postpartum Support International. This means having an in-depth understanding of the many signs and symptoms which are often missed or misunderstood as well as understanding the multitude of treatment options available including both wholistic and prescription options.
To that end I co-founded WellMama Maternal Mental Health Services in Eugene Oregon in 2007 and in 2014 founded and currently run the Utah Maternal Mental Collaborative, now a state chapter of Postpartum Support International, www.psiutah.org. PSI UT has been the vehicle for enormous state-wide change and efforts towards improving perinatal mental health through our policy efforts, educational training, and public awareness projects. Resources on perinatal mental health treatment, local support groups, and resources for providers can be found on the PSI UT website.
I have a particular interest in the impact that trauma, nutrition, and hormones have on emotional and physical health and work with many other trusted community partners to help clients formulate an integrative wellness plan to meet individualized goals. My approach combines attachment/trauma, mindfulness, cognitive behavioral and DBT, Jungian/psychodynamic, Jin Shin Jyutsu self-help, somatic experiencing, emotionally focused therapy and Gottman Method practices. In a nutshell, I use what I believe will work best for your individual personality and situation. I approach clients with flexibility, creativity and solicit your feedback at each session.
Clients tell me I’m a gentle “straight shooter” with a coaching style and am known for direct, honest, judgment-free, yet focused feedback. I offer concrete tools for managing bothersome symptoms as quickly as possible and welcome clients of any religious affiliation or none as well as all gender and sexual identifications. My virtual office is a safe space to be yourself. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have and offer 15 minute phone consultations at no charge.
Ultimately, I believe effective psychotherapy is an invitation back to knowing the value of who we are, a reconnection to innate self-worth. My work is essentially about the reclamation of personal power, authority, and a sense of safety, security, and joy in the body. I look forward to working with you!
- Graduate of Portland State University, Oregon: Masters in Social Work 2003
- Graduate of Humboldt State University, CA: Bachelors in Child Development 1997
- Certificate of completion on Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders, Postpartum Support International 2007
- ISIS (Integrating Spirituality and Sexuality) sex therapy 12 hr certificate of completion 2014
- Completion of Gottman Method Couples Therapy Levels I & II 2016
- Utah Maternal Mental Health Collaborative/PSI Utah Founder & Executive Director
- Director of Maternal Mental Health -The Healing Group SLC, 2012-2015
- Co-Founder and ED at WellMama Maternal Mental Health Services: Eugene, OR 2007-2011
- Educator on supporting early childhood attachment with families at risk for child abuse/home visitor: Relief Nursery Eugene, OR 1998-2005
- Postpartum Support International- Southwest Regional Coordinator 2011-present
- Statewide Educator on Perinatal Mental Health since 2007
- Postpartum Support International
- Trauma Informed Care Network Salt Lake
- National Perinatal Association
- Utah Association of Women in Psychology
- The LGBTQ-Affirmative Psychotherapist Guild of Utah
- National Association of Social Workers
- Mormon Mental Health Association (I am not LDS but many of my clients are. I respect any spiritual tradition others may have, or none)